It will soon be summer, and you want to make the best of your outdoor living space. Wood decks in Fort Collins, CO already stand well on their own as you hold outdoor parties and barbecues during the warmest months of the year—but they become even better if you add new luxury features. Here are five ideas to add to your deck before summer begins:
- Pavilion: It may not rain or snow in summer, but no one will want to use your deck if the sun beats down on them. Even then, a light rain shower can make outdoor meals and enjoying a fire pit less than pleasant. Add a pavilion over your deck so you can enjoy relief from weather elements. Shelter over your porch or deck expands its possibilities. If you have a patio centrally located in your yard, it is possible to add a pavilion there as well, so you can enjoy your garden or hot tub without being roasted on hot summer days.
- Fire pits: While it seems counterintuitive to install a fire pit on a wood deck, there are treatments and composite materials that keep your deck fireproof. Use common sense like never lighting fires on windy days and making sure the fire is out before ending your evening and the fire pit will never be a cause for trouble. This versatile and attractive feature is frequently a favorite for customers for the atmosphere and campsite feel. Once installed, you can add seating, multimedia or an outdoor kitchen to work around it.
- A screened-in porch: If you screen in part of your deck, it will give you a spot where mosquitoes cannot get to you. Since citronella and fire pits only go so far, the screened-in porch is a true insect-free area. It also makes a great “catio” if you want your indoor cats to have time outside in a safe place. This is a great way to enjoy fresh air without insects and give cats the outdoor experience without the danger.
- Walls: The orientation of your home may leave one side of your deck vulnerable to extreme sunlight or cold winds. If this is the case with yours, build a wall to block those unpleasant elements. Many conditions may make it difficult to light your grill or fire pit, so the wall becomes essential to enjoying other features. You can leave the rest of your deck open so you can enjoy airflow without unwanted weather.
- Move around: Your deck does not have to be limited to your backyard or one side of your house. Wraparound decks offer an Old World feel and make it easy to greet guests or move from one side of your house to the other. Extending decks to improve access to a swimming pool or hot tub can also improve your outdoor living space. If the patio area near your home is small, consider an entertainment area where your deck is in the middle of your yard. The only limits are your imagination!
TNT Home Improvements specializes in building wood decks in Fort Collins, CO. If you are ready to start the summer with an improved outdoor living area, call us today to start designing and building your new deck or patio.