What to Look for in a Deck Contractor
Throw a stone in any direction and you’re bound to hit deck contractors in Loveland, CO. This is because decking is considered basic construction and, unfortunately, anyone with a tool belt can call themselves a contractor. The reality is that deck construction isn’t as easy as it looks, and many homeowners are left with decks that fall short of expectations because they don’t take the time to vet their deck builder.
Taking the time to pick a qualified deck builder means more than just going through a few reviews online. To ensure you’re getting the very best deck for your money, you’ll want to take things a step further and put in the time to do some thorough research. Here are a few tips:
- When you contact a decking contractor, ask them how long they’ve been in the business. This means how long they have been a certified contractor and how many years they have accepted decking jobs specifically. The more time in the industry, the more references and examples they should be able to provide you with.
- Piggybacking off the first tip, make sure you ask for references when you’re considering hiring a contractor. If they have local examples to provide you with, take a quick drive and check them out for yourself. While you should stay off of private property, it’s a good idea to look at the design and appeal of a deck from afar. You’ll be able to tell quality work from haphazard jobs even at a distance.
- While reading online reviews isn’t the only thing you should do before hiring a contractor, it is a good idea to pay some heed to them. Read reviews and see what the common themes are between them. Do people keep mentioning a single good trait or a single bad trait? Keep these patterns in mind when vetting your options.
- See if you can set up a meeting with prospective deck contractors in Loveland, CO. Being able to meet with and talk to a contractor about your vision and their capabilities is going to give you great peace of mind when decision time comes. It’ll also clue you in as to who is paying attention to your needs versus who might just consider this another general decking job.
- Ask if the contractor will be on-site themselves for the duration of the job, or whether they subcontract out to other managers. This is important because it determines accountability. Whenever possible, try to work with contractors who are always on-site themselves.
- Ask a candidate about permitting and written quotes. A good contractor will be able to take care of or help you with permitting, and they should provide you with a written quote that you can use to base your decision on.
Play it smart when selecting a decking contractor and you’re bound to get the high-quality deck you’re paying for. Remember, quality workmanship boils down to more than price—it’s about the person(s) behind the job. Get in touch with TNT Home Improvements today to learn more about how we can help enhance your home with a new deck.
Looking for a deck construction contractor for your next project? Give TNT Home Improvements a call at 970-663-2868 or fill out the contact form at https://tnthomeimprovements.com