Five Tips for Doing Wood Decks in Loveland, CO the Right Way
Adding a wood deck to your backyard can be an ideal way to increase the value of your home. You’ll be able to enjoy the space all year long, and it will enhance the exterior appearance of your house after its installation. If you plan on installing a wood deck in Loveland, CO at your home, you need to make sure that you heed the following tips, as they will ensure your wood deck lasts and looks its best long after you have completed it:
- Choose the right material: While there is a bevy of wood materials to choose from for wood decks in Loveland, CO, you need to make sure you select the type that will work best for your needs and the activities you have planned for your deck. You may want a treated wood that resists insects, or you might opt for a hardwood for durable use. Take your time and be sure you have a wood choice that you can live with, as many have a lifespan of 20 years or more before they need replacing.
- Use high-quality screws: When it comes to the fasteners of wood decks in Loveland, CO, this is not a time to skimp on quality. If you use low-grade screws, you will soon see corrosion, rust and discoloring that can make your deck structure wear and age. A high-quality fastener will allow your wood deck to last longer and look better over the course of its life.
- Develop a base that is solid: The base of your deck is important when it comes to making sure that your wood deck is stable and properly supported. You will want to make sure that you set your footings deep below the frost line and follow the regulations set by your municipality for depth. This will ensure your wood deck has a well-established base and will prevent any shifting from occurring.
- Pick the best boards: When you are laying your boards for your deck surface, it is important to be choosy in their design. Wood has many imperfections and blemishes that can mar the floor of your wood deck and cause it to look worn before its time. Select the best boards for installation and use the imperfect ones in spots that are not in main viewing areas. This will give your wood deck in Loveland, CO the best appearance when it is finished.
- Protect with the proper finish: After your deck has been installed, you need to make sure to protect the wood with a coat of stain and sealant. This will help guard your wood deck from the elements and ensure it retains its luster after many years of use. Remember that treated lumber needs to cure for a few months before applying a finish, and you will need to reapply this coating every few years to ensure its brilliance.
Installing wood decks in Loveland, CO can be a simple task if you keep the above tips in mind. When you are looking to add a deck to your home, contact TNT Home Improvements. We are a trusted home improvement building company that is dedicated to providing you the deck or patio of your dreams.