A deck can be an incredible addition to a home. Whether you like to enjoy breakfast al fresco in the morning or gather with friends and family during a weekend barbecue, having deck space gives you much more room for relaxation and entertaining. Even though wood decks in Loveland, CO can often remain in good condition for decades, even the most durable materials will fade or become damaged over time if they are not properly cared for and maintained. That’s why it’s so important to keep your deck in the best condition possible. By following a few simple maintenance steps, you can ensure that your deck continues to be a great setting for outdoor recreation for years to come:
- Stain your deck: Not only does staining your deck make it look much better, it can also help protect your decking material. Treating lumber with a protective stain and sealant layer can prevent oxidation, rot and decay.
- Fix damage: If one of your boards becomes damaged or splits, make sure to replace it promptly. Remove the damaged board and secure a replacement in your deck. At first, this new board might appear to be uneven in relation to the rest of your deck, but it should even out after a few weeks as it loses moisture and shrinks.
- Secure loose boards and nails: Decks that get a lot of use out of them are likely to develop a few loose nails or boards every once in a while. If one of your nails becomes loose, you should remove it and replace it with a long screw to ensure that your boards remain secure.
- Wash your deck: Using a pressurized washing system to clean your deck on a routine basis will keep it free of debris and looking its best. You can either rent pressure washing equipment yourself, or you can hire a professional to take care of the cleaning process for you.
- Keep it covered: During the fall and winter, it is almost impossible to keep your deck completely protected from debris, fallen branches and stormy weather. Investing in a cover for your deck can do a lot to protect it from the elements. A deck cover can ensure that your decking material isn’t damaged by rain, snow or overexposure to the sun, and it can increase the longevity of your deck.
If your deck could use a little extra TLC before the winter weather hits, make sure to take care of regular preventative maintenance and then get professional help from the expert team at TNT Home Improvements. For years, we have been providing our customers with superior home improvement and renovation services, including deck and patio cover building. Taking good care of wood decks in Loveland, CO is essential, and we make it easy for you to keep your deck safe from the elements all year long. Browse our website to learn a little bit more about the services that we provide, and then give us a call for assistance with your next home project.